This friary was founded by John de Birmingham, Earl of Louth in 1325 A.D., and bears the Irish version of his name, Mac Fheorais - Monaster Feoris. The building was severely damaged during a siege in 1521, and although the friars subsequently remained for many more
years, friars have not occupied the site for centuries. The friary church has been much altered and is overgrown with ivy, and together with other trees and shrubs growing on the site, plentiful cover is provided for insects and bird-life. Flora includes elder and Lawson's cypress, dead-nettle, herb bennet, bindweed, bush vetch, forgetmenot and willowherb.
This historic friary, a kilometre west of Edenderry town is little more than a kilometre north of the Grand Canal pNHA. The Grand Canal is a man-made waterway which links the River Liffey in Dublin to the River Barrow in Athy, Co. Kildare and to the River Shannon at Shannon Harbour, Co. Offaly. The entire length of the Grand Canal is a proposed Natural Heritage Area (pNHA), and could be a very valuable piece of green infrastructure for a healthy biodiversity in Ireland. A few kilometres north-west of Monasteroris friary is Black Castle Bog, a Natural Heritage Area (NHA).
Sit still and allow yourself to quieten down ... Become aware of creation - all that God has created - of which you are a part ... Read the following words of scripture, and aided by the images below (click an image to enlarge), reflect upon the meaning of these words:
We know that the whole creation
has been groaning in labour pains
Romans 8: 22
- St. Francis