- St. Francis of Assisi
This friary was founded in 1330. Despite the Suppression, the friars occupied it until 1608 when it was finally destroyed. A new friary was built in a wooded area in 1616 but by 1766, the community had dispersed. However, friars continued to live and minister in the area until the early 19th century. Only the friary church tower and a section of the west wall remain today.
To the west and northwest of Cavan town is the vast Lough Oughter and Associated Loughs SAC and pNHA and the Lough Oughter Complex SPA. Lough Oughter is also a Ramsar site - internationally important wetland. A few kilometres directly north of Cavan town is the Drumkeen House Woodland pNHA and there are numerous other pNHA's in the vicinity of the SAC and SPA.
- Psalm 7, 17
This friary was originally a Third Order Regular Franciscan house which the friars took over in 1453, and was occupied by them till c.1630. Although it is in a very ruinous state, it is in a tranquil rural place.
A short distance to the south and south west of Clonkeenkerrill friary is Lough Tee Bog, a large raised bog with both SAC and NHA protection. The SAC is part of the very extensive Lough Corrib Special Area of Conservation (SAC). There are other protected sites of significant nature value in the vicinity including two NHA's.
This friary was founded before 1246 A.D. but plundered in 1315 by Robert the Bruce, and many friars killed. Franciscan life continued there until the friars were expelled in 1539. They began to live in a small cottage until they were completely driven out in 1563. In 1626, the friars built a new friary, but the community left the town in 1732. During periods of persecution, the friars found safety in Creggan, Co. Armagh and Rosmakea to the south. The church tower is all that remains today.
The Kilcurry River passes Dundalk to the north as it flows towards Dundalk Bay where it enters the sea. These lower reaches of the river are part of the Dundalk Bay SPA. Dundalk Bay is also a SAC and pNHA. In addition, the bay is a Ramsar site - internationally important wetland. Around 4 kilometres west of Dundalk is the Drumcah, Toprass and Cortial Loughs pNHA. St. Nicholas' Church, St. Patrick's Church, and the county museum in Dundalk are well worth visiting.
- Psalm 11, 4a
- St. Francis